If the request is related to Quality or Research, it is assumed the necessary approvals have been received from either the UPMC Quality Improvement Review Committee or University of Pittsburgh IRB respectively and the request can proceed. All requests are entered into a Request Tracking Tool for monitoring the use of Registry Information Services.
Please allow for at least two (2) weeks for general requests to be processed. If the request is more complicated (requiring data from multiple sources, requires additional data to be collected that is not part of a standard data set, involves large volume of biological specimens, rigorous process of materials), interested individuals should be aware the request may take longer than two weeks. Members of this system will communicate progress with the requestor.
Requests Including Biological Materials
If the request includes a need for biological materials and/or data annotation, interested individuals must first communicate directly with the Health Sciences Tissue Bank. You will need to submit your request for biological materials to the HSTB Project Management Tool.
The HSTB Project Management Tool is an online project request tool that will enable the users to log in and make project or other miscellaneous requests involving the HSTB, Research Histology, Tissue Micro Array (TMA), Data, Whole Slide Imaging or Quantitative Image Analysis needs. This tool will help the users and administrators track the progress of their requests/projects and get regular updates from the administrators. For example, a user may request frozen or paraffin embedded tissues or blood products required for their specific project.
Requests Including Data Annotation
If the request includes a need for data annotation, interested individuals may communicate directly with representatives from the UPMC Network Cancer Registry / Registry Information Services (RIS) by sending an email outlining the details of the request.
|General Requests||Sharon Winters, MS, CTRemail@example.com|
|Research Requests||Althea Schneider, BS, CTRfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mesothelioma||Althea Schneider, BS, CTRemail@example.com|
|Breast & Gynecologic Cancers||Louise Mazur, CTRfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Head and Neck Cancers||Jennifer Ridge Hetrick, BS, CTRemail@example.com|
|Thoracic and Lung Cancers||Karla Stewart, CTRfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Melanomas||Kerry Trent, CTRemail@example.com|
Details of the request should include:
- Date needed: include any specific deadline and please allow for at least two (2) weeks to process
- Purpose: describe if the request is related to a quality or research project
- Project Title: define a title for the project; if it is related to an IRB submission, use the name of the IRB-approved project
- Requestor: provide the full name, email address and phone number of the requestor
- Recipient: provide the full name, email address and phone number of the person who is to receive the data
- Biological Needs: describe if a submission has already been made to the HSTB; if this is the case, the HSTB representatives will work with RIS
- Protected Health Information (PHI): if the request includes protected health information (name, social security number, date of birth, other dates), justification must be provided for permitting disclosure of this information. This includes approval by the UPMC Steering Committee or an expedited IRB-approval. See below for further information.
- Range of Years Needed: define the time frame for the data needed
- UPMC Facilities to Include: define which UPMC facilities should be included; refer to ABOUT THE UPMC NETWORK CANCER REGISTRY > FACILITIES
- Data Needed: Describe the general data needed based on the following categories
- Demographics (gender, race, age at diagnosis, zip/county of residence)
- Diagnosis (primary site, morphology, grade, laterality, date of diagnosis)
- Extent of Disease (AJCC stage, tumor size, lymph node involvement, distant metastasis at diagnosis, prognostic factors)
- First Course of Treatment (dates and type of treatment including biopsy, cancer directed surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, hormone therapy, other)
- Outcomes (date of last contact/death, vital status, cancer status, date of first recurrence, type of first recurrence, subsequent treatment)