The purpose of abstracting is to organize, summarize and categorize the crucial information about patient demographics, diagnosis, extent of disease, treatment and outcomes from a patient’s medical records for each reportable case. Data is coded in accordance with NAACCR and other standard coding systems based on nationally and internationally established rules and entered into cancer registry software.
The UPMC Network Cancer Registry currently utilizes Elekta METRIQ registry software to capture required and supplemental data.
Cancer registry professionals employed by the UPMC Network Cancer Registry and Registry Information Services utilize many electronic medical record resources to capture the data set required for clinical and research purposes. These include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Cancer Registry Application
- Elekta METRIQ
- Hospital Registration and Billing Systems
- Outpatient Medical Records
- ARIA Oncology
- EPIC Beacon
- Other Electronic Medical Records
- Cerner PowerChart
- Clinical Connect / Care Anywhere (Health Information Exchange-HIE)
- Pathology Laboratory Information System
- Other Oncology Research Related Applications
- Clinical Trials Management Application
- Web-based Organ Specific Databases